Saturday 25 April 2015

The mystical cleaning powers of baby wipes, bicarb and hairspray!


I don't know about you but I am not particularly skilled I in the art of 'home making' and unlike Martha Stewart I seem to muddle my way through most problems via the somewhat mystical cleaning powers of my 3 hero's, baby wipes, bicarb of soda (or baking soda as they call it in the US) and hairspray!

Ok, so I know it might be cheating a little but there aren't many problems that I can't fix with one of these 3 little gems, they are truly amazing tricks!

The humble baby wipe is cleaning way more than just bottoms and sticky fingers in my house.  Here are just a few of the little jobs I use them for.

Removing marks from just about anywhere:
  • Pencil and crayon
  • Face paint and makeup
  • UPVC black scuff marks
  • Baby sick or milk from carpets (followed by bicarb if it's bad)
  • Grubby fingerprints off walls, doors light switches etc 
  • Removing sticker residue
They also make great cleaning companions for:
  • Dusting the house plants
  • Sprucing up plastic shoes 
  • Cleaning your car interiors
  • Spot cleaning floors and carpets
  • Added to a Swiffer for a shinny clean floor
  • Spot cleaning clothes (especially school uniform)
  • Cleaning up plastic or wooden toys or dolls
  • Cleaning down outdoor toys or furniture
  • Leather cleaner
  • Cleaning your skirting boards
  • Bathroom surface or floor cleaner
  • Shower screen cleaner
  • Cleaning computer screens and keyboards
  • Fridge cleaner
  • Microwave cleaner
  • Blind cleaner
  • Removing sticker residue

Bicarb is my best friend No 2 and will literally get bad smells out of just about anything (even the really bad ones)!


  • Sick odor remover (amazing)!
  • Fridge freshener
  • Litter box freshner
  • Mattresses freshner
  • Stinky bin freshner
  • Stinky drain cleaner and deoderiser
  • Bathroom mould remover and grout cleaner (when mixed with vinegar)
  • Boosts your laundry detergent as a freshener, degreaser and washing machine cleaner
  • Dishwasher cleaner and deodoriser
  • Polishes silver (in a paste)
  • Cleans the microwave, hob, oven or burnt on food pans (in a paste)
  • Cleans smelly sports wear and gym bags
  • Shoe deodoriser
  • Carpet cleaner
  • Preserves cut flowers (when added to the water)

And finally, my go to girl....Hairspray:
  • The biggie for me is the removal of ink (inc permanent maker) stains!
  • Lipstick and grease stain remover
  • Stops ladders from forming from nicked tights
  • Removes sticky glue residue (if baby wipes fail)
  • Preserves cut flower heads (spray on rather than in the water)
  • Lint remover
  • Artwork fix (for anything loose, glittery or chalky)

As long as you have these 3 secret weapons in your cleaning cupboard you'll be able to tackle most of the challenges family life throws at you.  OK, so maybe you should also add superglue and plasters to that list but you'll be on the right track!

Now I can't be the only one making the most of these little tricks and many more I haven't yet come across so I would love to hear any that you have to add that might help me along the way?
 


You Baby Me Mummy

1 comment:

  1. Ooh love these tips! So clever. Thanks so much for linking up to #TheList x

    ReplyDelete